Our Club, Our History
The club history dates back to 1961 when an old clubhouse was purchased from Surfer’s Paradise Bowls Club for 150 pounds. Originally an army hut, the structure was cut in two then taken to Mermaid Beach. An allotment on Markeri Street was purchased to gain access to the site. Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach and Burleigh Heads clubs then assisted with coaching classes for new and inexperienced members. A ladies club was also formed. Play started on the first green in 1962 with the second green opening in March 1963. Today, Club Mermaid the home of Mermaid Beach Bowls is a modern hub of activity being a community club in its central Gold Coast location.
The Club dress code requirements are based on neat and tidy attire (including proper footwear) with an appropriate level of personal hygiene being adhered to at all times. The level of appropriate attire and standard personal hygiene will be determined by the club at it’s sole discretion.
The following are not permitted at any time in the Club:
- Stained, torn, dirty, ripped or excessively frayed clothing
- Clothing with obscene or offensive slogans or pictures
- Unpleasant levels of personal hygiene which are offensive to others
- Any other clothing deemed not to be neat and tidy by management
- For Males – Singlets allowed up until 6pm
- Bare feet